Cape Cod Foundation Raises Funds for Military Veterans
August 18, 2017 The Cape Cod Foundation, based in South Yarmouth, announced that it raised more than $60,000 via an annual motorcycle event to assist local military families and veterans.
The Cape Cod Foundation
said the annual Big Nicks Ride for the Fallen drew 1,000 motorcyclists to raise $60,453 for local military families and veterans.
The eighth annual event, sponsored by the Nicholas G. Xiarhos Memorial Foundation Fund of The Cape Cod Foundation, held July 23, drew thousands of onlookers to the 35-mile course that wended along from Bourne to Yarmouth.
The ride honors Cape Codders who have died serving the country since 9/11. It is named in honor of U.S. Marine Nicholas Xiarhos who was killed in Afghanistan in 2009 while going to the rescue of his fellow Marines in combat. This years ride fell on the anniversary of Xiarhos' death.
The fund provides financial assistance to local military families and wounded warriors and supports numerous programs for veterans throughout the community including, Cape Wags for Tags, a free pet adoption service, Operation Reel Heroes, a saltwater fishing event, and therapeutic horseback riding. It also supports a scholarship at Dennis-Yarmouth Regional High School, Nicks alma-mater.
Stephen Xiarhos, Nicks father, said, We hope that we can help all Gold Star and military families honor their fallen. We also want to thank and help the living, those brave Vets that made it home. Thats what their fallen fellow warriors would want.
Sixteen Nonprofit Leaders to Receive Training
The foundation recently announced that a second class of 16 nonprofit leaders will receive training this fall through the Institute for Nonprofit Practice.
The intensive, six-month management and leadership program provides nonprofit leaders the professional development experiences, tools, networks, and strategies to help ensure organizational excellence and drive social change.
The following nonprofit executives graduated from the first program:
- Anne Marie Bellavance, Nantucket Food Pantry
- Courtney Bridges, Small Friends on Nantucket
- Jay Coburn, Community Development Partnership
- Barbara Cotton, Cape Cod Childrens Museum
- Cindy Horgan, Cape Cod Childrens Place
- Andria Jason, Permanent Endowment for Marthas Vineyard
- Fiona Jensen, Calmer Choice
- David Kuehn, Cotuit Center for the Arts
- JR Mell, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Cape Cod & the Islands
- Christine Menard, The Family Pantry of Cape Cod
- Barbara Milligan, Cape and Islands United Way
- Kristin OMalley, The Cape Cod Foundation
- Anne Van Vleck, CCYP
- Elizabeth H. Wade, CHAMP Homes
- Julie Wake, Arts Foundation of Cape Cod
- Jessica Whritenour, The 300 Committee Land Trust