Tufts Health Plan Foundation Gives $933K to 33 Nonprofits
November 28, 2011 The Tufts Health Plan Foundation announced that it has granted $933,496 to 33 nonprofit organizations based in Massachusetts, with most funding aimed at improving the lives of older adults through health, artistic, cultural, and educational activities or initiatives.
The latest cycle of grants from the Tufts Health Plan Foundation, supplements $1,165,000 in grants that it awarded earlier this year to 36 Massachusetts nonprofits.
Health care for seniors need not focus on crisis management; there are an enormous number of community organizations that have proven approaches to improving the well-being of seniors, said David Abelman, executive director of the Tufts Health Plan Foundation.
He added, Our team is privileged to support organizations who share our philosophy that keeping our community members healthy is an achievable goal. Thinking proactively about how to support seniors and other populations facing difficult challenges both strengthens our society and reduces unnecessary healthcare costs.
The Foundation also announced that in early 2012 it will launch its Youth Philanthropy Initiative with The Volunteer Family, a Boston-based nonprofits that engages and empowers youth in a group setting. The Foundation said it will support participating youth members in identifying and funding nonprofit organizations engaged in healthy aging.
Receiving grants in the newest funding cycle were the following :
- Aids Action Committee of Massachusetts, Positive Aging/Last Strength, Boston, $42,569
- Brandeis University/Massachusetts Health Policy Forum, Waltham, $20,000
- Brockton Neighborhood Health Center, Healthy Aging, Brockton, $45,000
- Cambridge Community Foundation, Matching Grant Program: Health Aging R.O.C.S., Cambridge, $10,000
- Cape Cod Volunteers Inc., Volunteer Opportunity Centers, Yarmouth Port, $20,000
- Central Massachusetts Area Health Education Center Inc., Vibrant Lifestyles: Health Aging Across Communities, Worcester, $45,000
- Community Teamwork inc., Bone Builders and Fall Prevention Enhancement, Lowell, $30,525
- Developmental Evaluation and Adjustment Facilities Inc., Healthy Lifestyles for Deaf Seniors, Allston, $40,000
- Discovering Whats Next: Revitalizing Retirement Inc., Transitions to Encore Careers:
- Expanding the Encore Work Continuum, Newton, $17,000
- Elder Services of Cape Cod and the Islands, Health Eating for Successful Living in Older Adults, South Dennis $5,000
- Families First Parenting Programs, Grandparents Parenting Again, Cambridge, $10,000
- Franklin County Home Care Corporation, Take Steps to Healthy Aging, Turners Falls, $64,336
- Friends of Amesbury Council on Aging, Amesbury Caregiver Essentials, Amesbury, $24,290
- Greater Boston Guild for the Blind, SightCare Diabetes and Low Vision Education, West Roxbury, $10,230
- Health Resources in Action Inc., Mass in Motion Municipal Wellness and Leadership Grant Initiative, Boston, $25,000
- Hearth Inc., Housing as the Key to Healthy Aging, Boston, $40,000
- Inquilinos Boricuas en Accion Inc., Villa Victoria Elder Support Program, Boston, $25,000
- Justice Resource Institute Inc., HIV and Aging Health Information Project, Boston, $34,821
- La Alianza Hispana Inc., Vibrant Lifestyles: Art Therapy Program, Roxbury, $30,000
- Massachusetts Public Health Association, Act FRESH Senior 2, Jamaica Plain, $15,000
- Merrimack Valley Food Bank, Mobile Pantry Program, Lowell, $10,000
- Minuteman Senior Services, Healthy Connections, Burlington, $32,000
- Mystic Valley Elder Services Inc., Reading Partners, Malden, $10,000
- Northern Berkshire Community Coalition, Caregiver Support Program, North Adams, $4,000
- Root Cause Institute, 2012 Social Issue Track on Healthy Aging, Cambridge, $50,000
- Somerville-Cambridge Elder Services Inc., Fall Prevention, Somerville, $39,160
- Southwest Boston Senior Services Inc. (Ethos), AgeWell Southwest Boston, Jamaica Plain, $70,000
- The Greater Boston Food Bank, The Brown Bag Program for Seniors in Need, Boston, $15,000
- The Volunteer Family, Tufts Health Plan Foundation Future Philanthropists Initiative, Boston, $20,000
- Tufts Health Care Institute, Practicing Medicine in a Changing Health Care Environment, Boston, $20,000
- VNA & Hospice of Cooley Dickinson Inc., Strength in Numbers Falls Prevention Education for Seniors, Northampton, $59,565
- YMCA of Greater Boston, Get Fit Stay Fit for Life, Boston, $50,000