BJs Charitable Foundation Gives $197K to Mass. Nonprofits
September 13, 2012 BJs Charitable Foundation announced that it has donated $197,651 to 30 Massachusetts nonprofits that focus their work on hunger prevention, self-sufficiency, health care, and education.
BJs noted that the rising price of food, unemployment and underemployment, and cuts in social services has resulted in an increased demand for hunger relief. The grants will help shelters, food banks, soup kitchens and food pantries purchase and distribute food to those suffering from hunger.
In addition, high unemployment, coupled with the rising cost of housing has resulted in many individuals and families seeking temporary or emergency housing, the foundation said, adding that its grants will enhance shelter programs; provide funds to purchase supplies, and clothing for residents and fund programs that offer families a temporary and safe shelter.
Funds that support academic and vocational opportunities for the disadvantaged will be used to purchase supplies for literacy skills, mentoring, tutoring and career development programs, while donations to organizations that provide healthcare services to individuals and families that would not normally have access to healthcare will help supply medical clinics and aid in costs for health prevention services, supplies for vision, dental, and hearing screenings.
Following are the Massachusetts nonprofits receiving donations from the foundation:
- A Place to Turn, Natick - $5,000
- American Red Cross, Cambridge - $5,000
- Community Servings, Inc., Jamaica Plain - $5,000
- The Family Pantry Corp, Harwich - $5,000
- The Greater Boston Food Bank, Inc., Boston - $15,000
- Rosie's Place, Inc., Boston - $15,000
- South Shore Community Action Council, Inc., Plymouth - $10,000
- Worcester County Food Bank, Inc., Shrewsbury -$5,000
- Yarmouth Food Pantry Inc., West Yarmouth - $4,300
- Bread & Roses Housing (BRH), Lawrence - $5,000
- City Mission Society of Boston (CMS), Boston - $5,000
- Family Life Support Center, Inc., Adams - $5,000
- hopeFound, Jamaica Plain - $10,000
- Housing Assistance Corporation (HAC), Hyannis - $5,000
- Self Esteem Boston Educational Institute (SEB), Inc., Jamaica Plain - $10,000
- Stavros Center for Independent Living, Inc., Amherst -$5,000
- Unitarian Universalist Urban Ministry, Roxbury - $5,000
- United South End Settlements, Boston - $5,000
- Volunteers of America Massachusetts, Jamaica Plain - $4,851
- Angel Flight of New England, Inc., North Andover - $5,000
- Boston Medical Center, Boston - $15,000
- Forsyth Dental Infirmary for Children, Cambridge - $10,000
Established in 2005, BJs Charitable Foundation aims to enhance and enrich programs that primarily benefit children and families in the communities that BJs Wholesale Clubs serve.
- Boston Local Development Corporation, Roxbury - $5,000
- Catholic Charitable Bureau of the Archdiocese of Boston, Inc., Boston - $5,000
- Horace Mann Educational Associates (HMEA) Inc., Franklin - $5,000
- MY TURN INC. America's Youth Teenage Unemployment Reduction Network, Brockton - $5,000
- Operation Outreach-USA, Inc., Holliston - $7,500
- Playworks Education Energized, Boston - $5,000
- The Italian Home for Children, Jamaica Plain - $10,000
- The Literacy Project, Inc., Greenfield - $10,000