Cambridge Center for Adult Ed Names Director of Development
Deibel, a board member of Cambridge Center for Adult Education (CCAE), will start in the post on July 17.
While not a new position, the director of development post has been vacant for the last two years.
Linda Burton, CCAE executive director, said Deibel's intimate knowledge of Cambridge is a huge plus for us as is her appreciation of the center and the opportunities ahead.
Deibel co-owned and operated two iconic Harvard Square restaurants, UpStairs at the Pudding and UpStairs on the Square, between 1982 and 2013, before becoming associate director of donor relations for the Longy School of Music in 2013.
At CCAE, Deibel will support what is projected to be a growing range of learning experiences and "a renewed commitment to connecting more broadly throughout the community."
Board chair Jock Herron noted, Mary-Catherine has been an outstanding Cambridge Center Board member whose strategic savvy, collaborative instincts, constitutional generosity, and good humor are a very timely fit as we move forward.
Deibel has received numerous awards, including the Greater Boston Convention Bureaus Spirit of Hospitality Award, the Burt Miller Classic Citizens Award from the Anthony Spinazzola Foundation, and jointly with her business partner Deborah Hughes, the Business Person of the Year award from the Cambridge Chamber of Commerce. She recently was named a Food Hero by the City Council of Cambridge.
Deibel is a board vice president of the Harvard Square Business Association and serves on the Board of Community Servings, an organization dedicated to providing free home-delivered meals to people home-bound with HIV/AIDS and other acute life-threatening illnesses.
Deibel earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in English from Newton College of the Sacred Heart, and a master's degree in English language and literature/letters from Boston University.
Newton College of the Sacred Heart: Bachelor of Arts, English Boston University, Master's degree, English Language and Literature/Letters
Founded as the Cambridge Social Union in 1870, CCAE took its current name in 1938. Today, its 300 faculty serve more than 9,000 students taking courses in the arts, foreign languages, English as a second language, cooking, business skills, literature, among other subjects.
In 1972, CCAE acquired the Blacksmith House (the former Window Shop) property. It is here that Henry Wadsworth Longfellow observed the village blacksmith at work under the Spreading Chestnut Tree, the subject of his famous poem, The Village Blacksmith.
For the year ending July 31, 2015, CCAE reported $2.4 million in revenue, of which $400,000 came from contributions and grants, and $2.4 million in expenses, according to its most recently available federal tax filing.