Comm. Foundation of SE Mass. Grants $375K to 12 Nonprofits
January 4, 2018 The Community Foundation of Southeastern Massachusetts, based in New Bedford, yesterday announced it granted $375,067 in 2017 year-end awards to 12 nonprofits that work to support and enhance arts and culture, the environment, community and workforce development, and health and human services.
John Vasconcellos, president of Community Foundation of Southeastern Massachusetts, noted, The Community Foundation is proud to be the partner of choice for creating philanthropic impact in the South Coast region.
Receiving the awards were the following organizations:
Since it was founded in 1995 to improve the quality of life in southeastern Massachusetts, the foundation has distributed more than $25 million in grants and scholarships.
- Amy Edwards Second Wind Fund, New Bedford: $39,000 to support education for women
- Buttonwood Park Zoological Society, New Bedford: $25,000 for the Nature Connection education center
- Carols Pacheco Elementary School, New Bedford: $50,000 for instructional resources
- Coalition For Social Justice, New Bedford: $5,000 for the Pathways South program
- Dennison Memorial Community Center, New Bedford: $5,000 for operating support
- Global Learning Charter School, New Bedford: $94,630 for technology for education
- New Bedford Council On Aging, New Bedford: $1,437 for senior activities
- New Bedford Whaling Museum, New Bedford: $25,000 for a capital campaign and $100,000 for operating support
- People, Inc., Fall River: $10,000 for the SMILES mentoring program
- Teach for America, Boston: $5,000 for the Sponsor-a-Teacher campaign
- Team Noah Foundation, New Bedford: $5,000 for the Noahs Place playground facility
- Womens Fund of Southeastern Massachusetts, New Bedford: $10,000 for the Lifeworks skills program
South Coast is a region covering southern Bristol and Plymouth counties that borders Buzzards Bay, and includes the cities of Fall River, New Bedford, the southeastern tip of East Taunton, and nearby towns.