Comm. Foundation of SE Mass. Grants $94K to Local Nonprofits
April 14, 2018 The Community Foundation of Southeastern Massachusetts, based in New Bedford, this week announced it granted $94,000 to 11 local nonprofits to support workforce development, with an emphasis on English teaching, adult education, general education and family literacy, and youth fitness.
The Community Foundation of Southeastern Massachusetts, awarded $90,000 from the Polaroid Fund to seven nonprofits to enhance the skills and education of the Greater New Bedford workforce, as follows:
In addition, $1,000 was award to each of the following organizations that focus on athletic activity and fitness for youth:
- Community Economic Development Center: $18,250 for neighborhood-based ESOL programming and literacy education to adult students in New Bedfords North End.
- Immigrants Assistance Center: $18,250 to support its ESOL and Citizenship Preparation programming.
- Junior Achievement of Southeastern Massachusetts: $6,000 for its JA ESOL programming at the Alfred J. Gomes School in New Bedford.
- New Bedford Art Museum/ArtWorks! : $15,000 for its Learning Studio: Early Literacy through the Arts Program.
- People, Inc. : $10,000 for mentoring and Adult ESL program at Parker Elementary School in New Bedford.
- United Interfaith Action: $7,500 for advocacy work to increase job opportunities for those marginalized from the New Bedford labor market.
- Womens Fund of Southeastern Massachusetts: $15,000 for its LifeWork program.
- Boys and Girls Club of Fall River to support staff for its Triple Play program.
- Gleason Family YMCA for its collaboration with Wareham Public Schools to teach Third Graders to swim.
- Southcoast Health to support hiking and camping trips for at-risk and underserved New Bedford youth.
- Youth Opportunities Unlimited to help provide scholarships to youth for their Explore Your Environment program.